We want to make a real difference in the lives of young Palestinians, whose lives are being affected by circumstances beyond their control, and to celebrate music as a wonderful bridge builder between people and nations.
The Friends of the Edward Said National Conservatory of Music is a registered UK Charity founded in 2013 for the public benefit to support the musical education of people in or from Palestine. It is an independent, non-profit organization, which represents and champions the work of the Edward Said National Conservatory of Music, the leading music institution in Palestine.
The Friends were established:
- To support the musical education of young people from and in Palestine; Through short courses, instrument provision, scholarships or bursaries, the Friends are committed to help young Palestinians to expand their musical horizons and experience.
- To create opportunities for the musical training and experience of teachers through master classes, new artistic collaborations and performance opportunities.
- To develop an understanding and appreciation in the UK of the vision and work of the Edward Said National Conservatory of Music and to act as an ambassador for the ESNCM. We support the on-going work of the Conservatory, which provides musical education of the highest quality to all Palestinians.
- To foster the creative collaboration between the ESNCM in Palestine and music institutions in the United Kingdom and to enable an exchange of musical and cultural knowledge and expertise for students’ and teachers’ professional development.
- To introduce Palestinian Musicians to the international community.
- To improve musical awareness and appreciation within the wider public.
For these purposes, the Friends focus on the following activities:
- Music education programmes
- Musical performances and events
- Offering grants to organizations and individuals
The Friends had a flying start with supporting the successful BBC Proms Concert in August 2013 and bringing the Palestine Strings to play with Nigel Kennedy at the Royal Albert Hall.
The Friends of the Edward Said National Conservatory of Music UK is a Charity Registered in England and Wales (no. 1152645) and a Company Limited by Guarantee (no. 08291603).