Award winning concert pianist, Iyad Sughayer, to premiere Helen Ottaway’s “Levantina” at St Georges Bristol on Tuesday 6 February
Helen Ottaway declared that she was “thrilled” that Palestinian Jordanian, Iyad Sughayer, will be giving the world premiere of her piece ‘Levantina’ on Sunday 6 February in St Georges Bristol.
She tweeted @artmusicuk: “Commissioned for Iyad by my lovely sister it feels like a family affair.” She added “my new piece is based on a folk song from the Levant introduced to me by Iyad so it’s very appropriate that the premiere is in support of PalMusic.”
The concert is being hosted by PalMusic, a charity that improves the lives of Palestinian children and young people through music. Award winning artist, Iyad Sughayer who is supported by YCAT is performing to benefit the charity.
The pianist, Iyad Sughayer, said:
“I am delighted that finally we can make this concert in Bristol happen, after many doubts and delays. Truly this is a moment to celebrate live music again. It is so good to be performing in front of bigger audiences again. I can’t wait to share Helen’s exciting music and the other pieces with classical music fans in Bristol.”
Lord (John) Cope (former MP for South Glos. and Northavon) a Trustee of PalMusic UK, added:
“We’ve been planning for a long time to bring Iyad’s brilliant playing of Khachaturian’s music to Bristol. Our plans for this concert were rudely interrupted by COVID almost two years ago. Since then Iyad has widened the programme and it promises to be a special performance for a very special cause. We urge the people of Bristol and surrounding area to book their seats and relish the chance to enjoy this wonderful music in their own special concert hall.”
The programme features:
Helen Ottaway Levantina
Haydn Piano Sonata in F Major Hob XVI:23
Sibelius 6 Impromptus Op 5
Khachaturian Masquerade Suite
The concert will be followed by a triple bill of films about Palestine at the same venue, organised by the Bristol Film Festival.
1. Tickets should be booked via St George’s Bristol https://www.stgeorgesbristol.co.uk/whats-on/iyad-sughayer/
2. More information about iyad Sughayer https://iyadsughayer.com/
3. PalMusic UK is a registered charity improving the lives of Palestinian children and young people through music https://www.palmusic.org.uk/
4. YCAT who represent Iyad Sughayer focus on “Discovering, Developing and Empowering young musicians at the start of their careers” https://www.ycat.co.uk/
5. The film showing starts at 7pm: https://www.stgeorgesbristol.co.uk/whats-on/liwan-a-story-of-cultural-resistance/